Crime Statistics - Is your Home or Business at Risk?
Many reporters say crime is on the decrease. But is your home or business really safe from burglary? The following F.B.I and other law enforcement agency statistics can provide some surprising answers.
- Residential properties accounted for over 73% of the burglaries
- 85% of all residential burglaries usually occur when the home is unoccupied and 65% of these were forced entries.
- There is a burglary every 14.6 seconds resulting in over 4.6 billion dollars in property and personal loss annually.
- Crime Statistics per region: the South had 5223 offenses per 100,000 inhabitants; the West had 4,879, the Midwest had 4,379; the Northeast had 3,474.
- 60% of all residential burglaries occur during daylight hours.
- High risk items: Money, jewelry, furs – appliances such as televisions, stereo systems and high-end radios – guns – electronic equipment such as computers, typewriters and calculators – automotive parts, expensive clothing and power tools.
- 38% of all robberies are committed with guns.
- Most commercial burglaries occur when the firm is not open for regular business – nights, weekends and holidays.
- The F.B.I reports that 90% of all intrusions occur through doors; 6% occur through windows; 3% occur through the roof and 1% occur through the walls.
- Businesses most vulnerable to hold-up are banks, grocery stores, convenience stores, jewelry stores, liquor stores, gun shops and furriers.
- The F. B. I. indicates that burglars are 2.7 times more likely to target homes without alarm systems.
- Burglars will spend less than 2 minutes to break into a home.
- The monetary value of property damaged due to arson averaged $12,561.00 per incident.
- One in six homes will be burglarized.
Five Reasons You Should Choose Custom Security